Monday 20 May 2013

How He loves us- (my first Youtube video!)

About two weeks ago a girl asked me to sing at her wedding. She specifically asked for "How He loves us" from Jesus Culture. I love Jesus Culture and was very excited to learn the song. It was only until I gave it a listen that I realised that I didn't think I would be able to do justice to the song. It's a big song with lots on instrumentals and I was afraid that my voice and piano would not be able to fill it up. I even told the father of the bride that the song was not a good choice for the wedding. His reaction stayed with me and for the next few nights his presence in my dreams made me realise something was up.


So with the quest of having a good night sleep, I decided to give it a go and try to work out an arrangement that wont sound as if an entire band was playing a joke on me. I listened to the song for about 10 000 times and finally came up with an arrangement that had less instrumentals and verse repetitions. I also transposed it so that I wouldn't sound like a confused man trying to be a girl. After a few attempts I finally got an arrangement that made me happy. (I think my neighbours also rejoiced.)

The day of the wedding, I decided not to tell the family, and instead surprised them when it was my time to sing. I knew I should keep my eyes closed, for when people cry. I cry. And when I cry, I can't sing to save my life. So with my eyes firmly closed I started to sing. Immediately I felt the spirit fill the room and I realised that just as the family had once connected with God through this song, they were connecting with Him again.

I want to share my arrangement with you so I had to get over my fear of YouTube and looking like an idiot.



At the end of that ceremony, I walked out, completely blessed.

How He loves us.


No comments:

Post a Comment